"I don't think we still need God or religion. Science can already explain everything."

         It was the remark of one of the captains I've been with on my second vessel.  Even though most of the crew were celebrating Christmas downstairs, he chose to stay on the bridge to be on the watch. I was also the watchman during that time, so after eating to my heart's content, I went to the bridge to resume with my duties. Little did I know that I will have a conversation with our captain that will cover things such as beliefs and ideologies.

         He is an atheist. He told me that he would choose not to celebrate Christmas on board if not for the sake of respecting the beliefs of other crew members. He said that science paved way for people to be free of the clutches of myths that hindered advancement. I listened to him as he enumerated how science overtook religion from one way to another. I want to argue with him, but given my position on board, I just listened and tried to understand his point of view.



         It's not the first time that I have known someone who choose not to believe in a divine creator, a supreme being or a God. Few of my friends happened to have the same ideology, though I wasn't able to have in-depth discussions with them regarding their beliefs. I can only wonder why they arrived at the point of denouncing the existence of God, or why they deemed the belief on a higher being as unnecessary.

         As I get to know different people and become exposed to various beliefs, I found out that more and more people seemed to disregard God or removed Him entirely on their lives. Some claimed to believe in Him, did His will, but their actions prove otherwise. When I came to think of these things, even I myself decided to denounce most of the teachings of the church that I was born to, and became a person who do not claim to be a member of any organized religion. At this point, I tried examining my own beliefs. I had lost faith in those hypocritical leaders of religion but not in God. I asked myself, why do I believe in God? What are the reasons that convinced me to believe in His existence?

Faith in Religion

        The long history of mainstream religion has shown us how those who claimed to be the harbinger of truth contradict their own teachings through their actions. We had seen how  religion became the so called cause for holy wars waged against one nation to another; how people conquered and enslaved natives of distant lands on the grounds of spreading the word of God. We had seen how those in the pedestal of religious authority abused their power, pointed fingers at people whom they called heretics because of their beliefs and let the State conduct the executions to exonerate themselves. We had learned how those leaders of the church even hindered pioneers of scientific discoveries. History has so much to tell that one might lose faith in religion or even God due to the atrocities and bigotry in the past centuries rooted on varying dogmas and beliefs.

         However, despite the knowledge of how religion apparently brought good and evil as it went through history, I believe that it is not religion alone that brought about scourge to nations in the past. Rather, it is the selfish desires of men to obtain power, to be exalted as sole authorities on both religious and political aspects that tainted religion and produced an amalgam of beliefs that drifted away from true worship.

         Does the shortcomings faced by religion in the past and even at present discouraged me to believe in the Divine? No. I cannot deny in myself that I still believe that amidst the multitude of existing religions, there must be one that points out to the unadulterated truth about God. I believe that true religion in its very nature directs a person towards God. It is in harmony with Biblical truths and does not conform to the traditions of men. A religion that does not compromise faith to gain power or one that does not exchange morality for worldly acceptance. Believing in the existence of such religion prompted me to examine, to read more and to look for answers. I came to understand the past, and little by little, I started knowing God to be more than just a Creator.

Limitations of Science

         When our captain told me that science can already explain everything, I really wanted to ask him how he arrived to such a conclusion. Granted, science enabled us to uncover the truths about nature. We were able to formulate equations based on the existing physical laws to fully understand things around us. We already sent man to space, charted the deepest of the seas and classified living things according to their kinds.

         We have unraveled mysteries through scientific studies. Furthermore, science has seemed to provide mankind an explanation to almost everything. However, does it guarantee us that our understanding of nature is free of any errors? History proves otherwise. Consider Ptolemy, a Greek astronomer. He was known as one of the most influential person in astronomy and geography of his time yet he believed that the Earth is the center of the universe. No wonder astrophysicist Carl Sagan wrote of him in his book Cosmos, “His Earth-centered universe held sway for 1,500 years, a reminder that intellectual capacity is no guarantee against being dead wrong.”

         Science, promising as it seems to provide us with answers we yearn to know, has its own limitations.  The fact that in spite of the rapid advancement of technology for us to study the physical world still leaves some gap on our understanding of nature. We may come to know things better, yet every discovery leads to another series of complexities and unanswered queries.




         Moreover, science has enabled us to answer questions such as what or how. On the other hand, it cannot answer the most important questions in life that include the reason for our existence and ethical matters with regard to another life. I believe that due regard should be taken into consideration before someone assert that science can explain everything. It is reasonable to have reservations when it comes to science. Because in reality, there are questions in life that can be answered without relying on empirical data and years of rigorous research, but by finding the need for the Divine guidance as necessary alone.

Belief in the Bible

          The Bible perhaps is one of the main reason why I believe in God’s existence. I was introduced to it at an early age. Though I was merely amazed by Biblical stories then, I would continue to look at God as the all-powerful heavenly Father. Later, when I came to understand the Bible through a series of in-depth study through the help of a knowledgeable friend, it presented me a personal God who is not shrouded in mystery or nor too distant to be reached. Additionally, it made me realize that the Bible is a book that you can rely into because of its divine nature, scientific accuracy and relevance in history.

        Many may have a lot of misconceptions about this amazing book because of the erroneous interpretation of passages by people who started reading from it out of context, instead of considering it to be harmonious within itself. The result? A horde of sects and religions with their own distinctive doctrines. Not only it give birth to such diverse groups but it made the Bible appear to be outdated and anti-science.

         Does the Bible contradict science? Though it does not claim to be a science textbook, a thorough study with the Bible will reveal that it does not oppose the generally accepted scientific facts. Rather, it is ahead of its time when compared to its contemporaries. For example, people long ago believed that the Earth is supported by a four elephants resting on a giant turtle. Some also believed that the Earth is carried by a god standing atop a mountain. However, the Bible states: “He stretcheth out the north over the empty space, And hangeth the earth upon nothing.” (Job 26:7, ASV)
We all know at present that the Earth is neither maintained by beasts nor a god, but suspended in empty space. Similar observations with regard to the natural world also appear in the Bible, hence refuting the belief that it deny science.

         More than the scientific and historical matters, the Bible provides us with guidance on how to deal with life. Apostle Paul writes; “Every scripture inspired of God is also profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for instruction which is in righteousness. That the man of God maybe complete, furnished completely unto every good work.” (2 Timothy 3:16-17, ASV) The Bible being inspired by God, hundreds of its passages that covers supervision on dealings with marriage, health, money and morality that can help people in any way possible. Therefore, we can depend on the Bible in making big life-decisions.

         The Bible perhaps surpasses any book ever published in history. It’s the only book that claims divine inspiration. Likewise, its survival through the ages, and being in harmony despite written by a lot of people in different generation only prove that there is a great Mind who authored this book.


Simple and Logical Explanations

         While many who do not believe or doubt the existence of God present an array of arguments to support their skepticism, I find the arguments that support the opposition of such to be more reasonable. Consider the following:

1. God created all physical matter. Hence, he cannot be made of physical elements that he himself has created. Rather, he is of a spiritual, or nonphysical, nature.1
2. God’s existence is not limited by time. He has always existed and will always exist. Hence, no one created him.2
3. If God does not exist, then everything is permissible.3
4. Without God there will be no real reason to be moral. Without God, there will be no standard of morality.4
5. If there is no Creator, then life must have appeared spontaneously by chance. Yet, the universe as we know it is designed intricately through laws. And since these laws seemed to coincide to expect the emergence of life, purpose is clearly involved. Design and purpose are not characteristics of blind chance; rather, they are precisely what an intelligent creator would manifest.5

         How about questions like if God exist, why is there so much pain and suffering? If He is the embodiment of love and since He is powerful, why does He allow wars, atrocities and evil things to happen?

         It takes more than a series of argument for these questions to be provided with satisfying answers. One must have an open mind, humility and sincerity to look for and examine the answers for himself. Fortunately, the Bible and the natural world give us with answers for these questions worth pondering that will change our perspective on life as well as on God’s existence.


         So, why do I believe in God? I hope I have made myself clear on the reasons why. More than those whys and wherefores, I believe in His existence not because I do not acknowledge science nor I denounce progress. Rather, I keep in mind what Albert Einstein had once said: “Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.” I believe not because I was reared to have such belief. On the contrary, I believe because of the innate need of the presence of Someone greater than human. It is that spiritual need that requires such belief to be sufficed. I believe not because I have lost sight of reason nor I want to satisfy any delusion. After all, God wants us to believe in Him on our own volition with the power of reason.


         As I reminisce that small conversation with our captain, I think I should’ve done better if I asked him to examine his beliefs before arriving to his conclusion. I don’t want to force my own beliefs into anyone. However, making them think critically on things that would be beneficial on their own lives, I guess, would be something worth doing.


1,2. The Uncreated Creator. Awake! March 2014 Issue. p. 4
3. Fyodor Dostoyevsky in his novel The Brothers Karamazov.
4.  The argument explained by Josh Wheaton, a character played by Shane Harper in the film God’s not Dead.
5. Mankind’s Search for God. p. 338.


Sources:

Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania, 1990. Mankind’s Search for God.

God’s Not Dead. Dir. Harold Cronk. Pureflix, 2014. Film

Peach, David. 10 Amazing Bible Facts. Retrieved from www.whatchristiansanttoknow.com/10-amazing-bible-facts/

Science Has Its Limitations. The Watchtower, June 2015 Issue. Retrieved from https://www.jw.org/en/publications/magazines/wp20150601/limitations-of-science/


Does Science Agree With The Bible? Retrieved from https://www.jw.org/en/bible-teachings/questions/science-and-the-bible/

All cited Bible verses are from The American Standard Version digital edition.

DNA Photo: Unbelievable Facts Facebook page